Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First step

“Understanding is the first step to acceptance, and only with acceptance can there be recovery.”
- Joanne Kathleen Rowling

I know there have been things I have come across which I didn't want to accept, things that I didn't like and therefore wanted to just be stubborn and never accept. But in doing so I was just making things harder for myself. When you come across something that you really dislike, how do you move on from that? How do you come to terms with something which completely rips you up inside? Firstly I think with our emotions we can turn something so small into something huge. Our emotions sometimes make us completely look at things from the wrong angle, with a very negative view. So take a step back and think about how you feel, especially before you act upon how you feel. Think, is what you are thinking rational? Is it really true to the situation or has there been a misunderstanding? And when its something that just doesn't sit well with you, then instead of fighting it, why not try and accept it? Looking at it for what it is and just saying, "Well you know, that's just how it is so I should see it for what it is and stop wishing I could change it." It doesn't mean you have to take part in it or love it, just accept it. I think when you try and hold onto something, it hurts us more. Because not everything in this world is going to be what we want it to be, there are going to be things which go against what we believe and things that are going to hurt us. But it gives us an opportunity to grow and learn. Instead of wishing for something to be different when it is incapable of it, accept it. And I know it's hard, because it was hard for me. But I knew I had to accept it in order to move on, because I couldn't change it. If you can change something then go for it, but if you can't, accept it instead. Just be true to yourself, and try to look at the world openly, without judgement. Accept things as they are, and don't wish them to be different if it's not possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment