Monday, February 14, 2011

breathe

I was just reading a magazine and they were referring to our "spiritual selves." The way I see our "spiritual self" is just us, as a whole. Kind of like our soul, our being. One reason why I love meditation so much, is that I often feel as though I neglect this part of myself (I think most people do). As in I never take the time to give myself that breather, to just take a step back and reflect. Ponder on whats happening in my life and seeing how I feel about everything that's going on. In these times, there is so much going on in our lives. Expectations we feel we must live up to, meeting societal demands, tending to the relationships we have. I think if you asked just random people, "How much time a week do you take just to have a moment to yourself, to relax and reflect?" most people would do very little of it. But why do we do that? No one has ever in my life, made me think that having my time to myself and just giving myself that moment to reflect, no one has ever made that seem important. It was only within the past year that I have really been thinking about this and reading into meditation and it's benefits, that I have come to see how important it is.

Life can be so full on with school/work/university, relationships, ect. You'll have the days when you are feeling really good, and you'll have the days when you are feeling really sad. Life can be tough. Don't you think we deserve to take that step back? It's ok to grab that cup of tea and just sit outside for like two hours admiring the scenery, taking pleasure in the simple things and seeing the beauty within the world we live. I think we are so on the go all the time, we don't take the time to stop and see the beautiful things all around us. To live in the moment and appreciate our lives for everything they are. We have gotten into this habit of constantly looking into the future, planning our lives out instead of letting it just happen. I think some planning is good, because sometimes we need to do that (things like appointments ect). But once that is done, remember to concentrate on where we are now.

Meditation is wonderful, it's that time when you take the chance to find a quiet place and sit and reflect on your thoughts, whats happening in your life and seeing how you feel about it all. It helps you to overcome the things that scare or hurt you. Move on from the past torments and helps you to live for the here and now. It can make you feel happier, more content with your life. It teaches you patience and concentration. Those are just some of the benefits. Of coarse meditation takes practice and you won't receive it's rewards straight away, they come over time.

Be kind to yourself and to others, we all deserve to be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment